Friday, November 12, 2010

Showing Thanks

The other day I came across a really cute idea to celebrate "being thankful" during the month of November. It is supposed to count-down the days to Thanksgiving....but as usual....we're starting a little late, so we're doing 15 days of being thankful.

First, we started outside looking for leaves. (If you do this, don't forget to get leaves that are still a little "green" -- they need to be soft, not all dried out.)


Then, you get plain printer paper and "naked crayons". (This is what Anne Marie called them - we had to take the paper covers off & she said "mommy -- it's kind of like the crayons are naked, like me when I get ready for a bath." Haaa!!!!) You then place the leaf under the paper & rub the "naked crayon" over the leaf. We used all different fall colors to make a mix.

Then each night (either at bed or dinner) we write down what we're thankful for on the back of our leaf. Anne Marie had a hard time deciding what she was thankful for -- she wanted to make a HUGE list on her 1st leaf. She settled for mommy, daddy & her kittys. She used the flowers, bees, butterflies & leaves outside for her 2nd night.

We got a branch and hung it on her closet door & we'll hang the leaves from it each night. I'm afraid this might not be the best spot -- poor girl, she couldn't reach it if she tried!

4 comments:

Kristi said...

You have the BEST ideas! I'm totally going to have to steal this one and use it to focus on what we're thankful for at our house!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, those dimples are just getting bettter and better. What a fabulous idea, I LOVE it!! leave it to you!!

ShortandSweet said...

awwww, ok, thats a great idea. Very cute :)

Jen H said...

Very cute idea!! I love this time of year!!