Friday, November 6, 2009

Sharing China

This Wednesday @ Church we were asked to share a little about China in Anne Marie's Wednesday night class. The 3 & 4 yr olds are learning about mission work and countries around the world that need to hear about God. China was one of them. They asked if we would bring in a few things for the kids to see that might help them learn a few things about China.
We decided that we would bring in the "snack" for the night. We made cute little bags (made from Chinese New Year Lucky Money Bags) filled with Chinese Candy and chopsticks (bought from our near-by Asian market). We also made rice and brought that in to let the kids eat trying to use chop-sticks.
We also brought in a puzzle map of China showing them what China looks like and where Anne Marie is from. She also wore one of her silk outfits we bought her there.
We talked about how there are people in China that don't know about God and how sometimes there are missionaries that go there to help find ways to talk about God and what he does when you accept him into your heart. Granted these kids are only 3 & 4, but a mom did call me tonight and tell me that she came home saying - "Mommy, China is my favorite place"... so at least we know they were listening a little bit.
I think it's such an awesome thing that our Church family embraces not only the fact that Anne Marie is adopted, but that they allow us to share our story & share Anne Marie's heritage - I think one day it will mean a lot to her.
We've also been asked to share with the older group of kids the same things in a another month or so.... It should be fun! They will ask more questions, and Mike wants to take more "traditional" food for them to try..he's thinking one of those black-duck-eggs (ughh!!! He actually ate one in China) becuase they sell those @ the market we go to!!

Anne Marie ready to go in her silk outfit & her little gift bag.

Passing the rice around for everyone to try.

They did end up using them more as drums than anything else! (haa)



The kids trying the Chinese candy (which I'm not fond of -- and I don't think they were too thrilled with it either -- but there were back up oreos & juice boxes for snack-time!!)

3 comments:

Beverly said...

What a wonderful experience for the chidren. I hope that your visit with the older kids has a real impact on their knowledge of missions.

Reading biographies of early missionaries to China really had an impact on my life.

Kristi said...

Now that is cool! I'm glad Anne Marie had such a neat chance to share her heritage with her friends.
And let me know how the black egg is...

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is awesome. If I'd have been there, I would have embarrased you to death by taking constant pictures!