Saturday, December 13, 2008

Family Fun & A History Lesson

Last weekend we had another little family get-together. We went to visit my cousin and her family. My other cousin (her sister) and my aunt and uncle (their parents) were there as well. She had a little "trip" planned for us on Saturday. We went to Harper's Ferry. Can I just tell you it was COLD -- VERY, VERY COLD!! It was snowing as we were walking around amongst the reenactor's & cute little shops. I would have paid money to been able to dress in one of those soldier uniforms to keep warm. (I usually feel sorry for those guys when you see them walking around places like Williamsburg in the summer time -- but not today!!)

We spent the weekend eating (YUMMY food), talking, enjoying each other's company, and watching the kids play with Anne Marie. She gets treated like a little princess by her older cousins. She always walks away with something...this time we got a stuffed puppy dog, books, and a dress-up necklace. Both of my cousins children are just soooo sweet!!

I enjoyed myself, and was almost sad to have to come home. It's not often that we get to see her, and since Dad is gone, I cherish the moments I get to spend with my dad's side of the family.


All the girl cousins together



Huddling outside of a military tent. (Can you tell it was cold?)




The girls were asked to dance by two gentleman at the "party". They were teaching on-lookers time-period dances. The girls were so cute. One of the girls was escorted back to her family at the end of the dance & she looked at him and said "why are you walking me back?" and he said "I"m a gentleman and that's what we do". I thought it was sweet -- and what a nice lesson for a young girl to learn - how guys are really supposed to treat girls!!

Anne Marie looking on as the girls dance. (Again, did I tell you how COLD it was??)

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I bet Harper's Ferry is super cool to visit during Christmas! Ian and I were there one summer after tubing down the river. It was quite the opposite of your cold day, but we did enjoy some snow cones.
Now I want to go back and see it complete with the renactors! Anne Marie looks so happy with her cousins (or second cousins, or some sort of cousins once removed ~ I always get those relationships confused!)