Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Adoption Ministry

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but another couple along with Mike and I started an adoption ministry at our Church. During the adoption of Anne Marie (and the other couple did 2 adoptions over the same time) we got together and decided that it would be a GREAT help if people could come to one place and get information, support, and financial assistance. Our ministry has been kind of quiet lately. But there are some VERY exciting things going on now! We have a family that is in the process for a daughter from China -- they have waiting over 4 years!!! We're hoping over the next couple of months they will get their referral! And that means it's time for fundraising & excitement in our Church. Also, we've partnered with another Church in our area that started and adoption ministry as well and we're excited about the new possibilities this will bring. We started a couple weeks ago with a challenge to fill back-packs for the foster-care children in our area. We had to pre-order the bags and then go on faith that all packs would be purchased & filled by Church members. Robin and I decided on the number 25 -- and can I just tell you how much I LOVE our Church family? Not only did we get 25 purchased & filled, but there were people still lining up to help after they were all spoken for! So, in case you're ever unsure if something can be done -- just have faith! I'm hoping that we can continue to be part of this project every year & increase our numbers each time. What a WONDERFUL project! And sometimes, I feel our foster-care system gets looked over when it comes to our adoption ministry being that so many of us have adopted from other countries - it's been on my heart to do more for our local children, and I'm so happy this worked out!

Some of the back-packs that were filled.
Our kiddo's helping load them in the car to be delivered to the "drop-point".

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

How cool!!! Now you didn't tell me about your partner church, which one is it? Are you having any fundraisers before next year?

Jen said...

This is AWESOME!! What a great way for FBC to reach out to the community!! I would love to make something for your auction again if you are having it...just let me know!!

Kristi said...

So exciting that your church got behind you and supported local kids so well. What a blessing!