I'm Over the last 2 summers our daughter has made a HUGE progression in her attempt to learn how to swim. She has always refused swim-lessons, so we have tried to teach her ourselves. She has done quite well. She has a cousin who is also 5 yr old and on the swim team & very very confident in the water, so that has helped to have someone to aspire to! Cousin Naomi also LOVES to jump off the diving board. Our little one has braved the board as far as standing on the edge of the board, however the poor girl starts to shake & whine & beg to get down. Last week Mike promised to get our girl a special ice-cream treat - that she wouldn't even had to share mind you - and it still made her stand on the edge saying "I want ice-cream, but I don't wanna jump!". So, she got down. Then right behind her came 2 little girls. I decided to ask their age. The 1st girl said "I am 7!" - then proceeded to jump. It didn't even make our girly flinch. The 2nd little girl came next - I said "And how old are you?" She proudly yelled "I'm 5!" as she ran off the diving board. Anne Marie looked at me and said w/ a disgust in her voice "Ok, then, FINE! I'll jump."
Let me tell you --- she has NEVER looked back!!!! This is the fun that ensued after.............
(what a little friendly competition won't do for ya I guess!)




2 comments:
That's great. I never was to crazy about going off a board either...I did it, but didn't really want to.
Glad to see that peer pressure can work to our advantage. ;)
Anne Marie is lucky, at our community pool the kids have to pass a swim test (make it the entire length of the Olympic pool) before they are allowed to jump off the diving board. One day...
Post a Comment