Saturday was the Autumn Moon Festival. It's a holiday that is celebrated in China at the end of summer harvest, when the moon is at it's fullest. There are many aspects to it, but one thing they do is celebrate by gathering with family and eating moon cakes.
I wish that there might have been some type of celebration around, but I think our area is a little "small" for that....so....Saturday we decided to celebrate our own way. We started our day with breakfast - I made toast shaped like leaves (autumn theme - not much to do w/ the festival, but still fun.) Then, we headed to a local Asian market to buy our moon-cakes (and a few other things). Then had dinner at a local Chinese restaurant.
It may not have been a "festival" but it was a fun day!!
Happy Autumn Moon Festival!!!




4 comments:
So sweet!
I love that you are encouraging her to keep the traditions so that she can remember and be proud of her heritage!
I've had a moon cake before! Two or three years ago we had a group of engineers from China onsite at work for a month or so and it fell over the moon festival so they brough moon cakes in for us to try. I'm with you on the yolk. But overall, not bad.
Fun..Love it and love the dress...that is one of my favorite Gymbo Lines!! And Melissa...you look great!!
One year we bought a box of moon cakes from China Sprout. One was lotus paste, one was red bean paste, one was mixed nut, and one was winter melon paste. I strongly disliked one, had mixed feelings about two and really liked the fourth. (We cut them all to sample the different kinds). Sadly, the packages were labeled in Chinese, so I have no idea which one I liked...
This year though we were bad parents and attended the U2 concert on Moon Festival night instead of celebrating our children's heritage.
Post a Comment